An effort to enable more students to ride and race
In the summer of 2017 a few Texas Cycling alumni went for a spin under the hot Texas sun. Reminiscing on their college days spent eating ramen and religiously patching tubes for the seventh time in order to afford their cycling addiction, they realized that life could be made easier for future students.
About the Program
The Alumni Rider Sponsorship Program eases the financial burden of participation in the Texas Cycling club. This effort develops riders and racers and provides tangible impacts as a result of contributions from donors and sponsors of the team.
The program aims to provide sponsorship for four riders for the 2019-20 school year (two each in the men’s and women’s categories). Sponsored riders will be provided with:
- Full coverage of their club dues ($40)
- The cost of one set of club kit (1 jersey, 1 bib, 3 pair socks, $230)
- Race dues for one race season of their chosen discipline ($195)
- Coverage of their USAC collegiate and domestic race licenses ($125)
- Coverage of the cost of Texas Cycling’s winter training camp ($50)
- Stipends for race weekend food and travel expenses ($150)
We are seeking donations totaling $2000 for the 2019-20 season to provide these benefits.
Who do we help?
Ideal candidates to the program are those whose financial situation would normally put them in a position where they are unable to participate in the club OR would have to take on a substantial burden to participate.
What do we ask of sponsored riders?
Sponsored riders are expected to give back to the club by being active members and by:
- Participating in club events (meetings, volunteer events and rides)
- Calling out their rides so others can join them
- Assisting in ride leadership for Texas Cycling team rides
- Promoting sponsors of the club where appropriate
- Participating in approximately 80% of races, include the conference championship race
Who runs the Alumni Rider Sponsorship Program?
The program is jointly run by Texas Cycling and the Texas Cycling Alumni Association.
Who is the Texas Cycling Alumni Association?
The Texas Cycling Alumni Association is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization formed to advance the sport of cycling by supporting the members and programs of Texas Cycling.
Can I donate directly to Texas Cycling to fund this program?
Yes, please contact David Comer for instructions on how to make sure your donation reaches Texas Cycling.
Can I donate by cash or check?
Yes, please contact David Comer for information on where to send your donation.
Can my business make a donation?
Yes, please contact David Comer for information and for invoicing services.
Do you accept in-kind donations?
Yes, please contact David Comer for information on where to send your donation